This snickerdoodle recipe is from my great grandma Etta’s recipe box. This cookie is light and pillowy, easy to make, and oh-so-delicious. I had never baked with lard before and was a little apprehensive about the dough seeming too lard-heavy, but once the cookies came out of the oven I saw the light: lard added a great texture to this cookie, and I can’t wait to bake these again!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- cinnamon and sugar for topping (about 2 tablespoons each)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, combine butter and lard. Add sugar and mix to combine. Add egg and milk, combine.
- Sift baking powder and flour in a separate bowl. Slowly add to wet mixture, making sure to fully incorporate.
- In a small bowl, combine an even amount of cinnamon and sugar, about 2 tablespoons each.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, place batter on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until set and the bottoms are slighly brown.
I put about an 1/8 of a teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture on each cookie, but adjust to your liking!
Makes about 24-30 cookies.