Another recipe from my great-grandma Etta’s recipe box. I chose this recipe because it seemed like a light dessert, which would be nice after all that Easter food. Plus, I had all the ingredients!
This was another limited recipes, with ingredients listed but no temperature or time. BUT it was super easy and came out great! My official taste-tester (AKA Mom) said, “oh my God, it’s SO GOOD” after one bite. She declared it light and flavorful.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda in hot water
- pinch of salt
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add applesauce and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to butter mixture.
- Boil water. (You only need one tablespoon). Add baking soda to water to dissolve. Add to mixture and combine.
- Spread in a greased 8×8 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until set.
I added cinnamon (to taste) to cool whip to add to the top, but it is not necessary!
Would I make this again? YES. It was easy to make and really good!